2018 Ally Recognition Award Winner
SAIPA is proud to present Claire Davies with the 2018 Ally Recognition Award.
Claire is a wonderful support to adults with disabilities, always listening and respecting different points of view. Promoting inclusion for all citizens, Claire encourages people to learn leadership and self-advocacy skills. Claire supports advocates to be involved in SRSAN, helping them to understand their roles. Claire’s bright smile and great attitude make her a joy to be with. Claire works hard and we are proud to honour her!
About this Award
SAIPA inspires people with developmental disabilities to drive change in their communities as engaged and empowered citizens. We know that we cannot do our work alone. This award recognizes the time, dedication and commitment of businesses, individuals, organizations, families and staff who help people with disabilities become engaged in the community through opportunity, skill development and advocacy. Since this award was created in 2008, we have had the privilege of honouring seven allies. Nominations are open during the first three months of the year; winners are chosen by SAIPA’s Board of Directors.
Who can be nominated?
The nominee can be a business, family, organization or support staff. Self-nominations are not accepted. The nominee is someone who supports individuals to speak on their own behalf, and
- Has a deep understanding of the history, philosophy and support of self-advocacy
- Is an approachable resource and support system to people with disabilities
- Motivates and encourages people with disabilities to learn leadership skills
- Listens to people with disabilities and respects differing points of view or choices
- Tries to help explain things to advocates so they are better understood
- Is sensitive to issues and helps problem-solve
- Treats people with disabilities as adults and with respect
- Is involved in the community, promoting inclusion of all citizens